Tags

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

In my recent wanderings of the internet reading sewing blogs and scrolling through pinterest I found Sewcanshe’s tutorial and free pattern for the Peek-a-Boo Pouch. I was instantly interested in making one. My sewing supplies desperately needed something to organize and carry them. At the moment when my supplies need to leave the house I embarrassingly carry them in a recycled plastic container that once carried jelly boob inserts for a previous sewing commission. Really professional right?

So I printed out the provided pattern (you can find it here with directions–> Peek-a-Boo pouch) and dug through my fabric containers looking for something in my stash to make me something more professional to carry my sewing supplies. I purchased a remnant of a skull print a bit ago that I couldn’t pass up and I had no plans for. It was suggested to re-purpose the plastic bags that curtains or sheets come in. I didn’t have any of those laying around, but I did have clear vinyl that I covered dining room chairs in. I pulled a zipper out of the stash, some interfacing, and grabbed my container of snaps.

I printed out the pattern ,which was only a 2 pager, and instead of tracing it I just cut it out. I actually cut it out twice because I figured I could keep one in my sewing room and one in the car.

So here is the good, the bad, and the ugly of this project.

The Good:

  • I learned about a new tool with this make –Wondertape! I picked up some on one of my trips to Jo-Ann Fabrics. It made installing the zipper so easy!
  • It is a great jumping off point to make some custom sized pouches for your gear.
  • The pouch is super easy  to put together and gives beginner sewists a taste of bias binding, setting snaps, sewing with zippers, and interfacing.

The Bad:

  • The pouch actually doesn’t hold all of my most common fit and measuring supplies.

The Ugly:

Turning the pouch and getting nice corners was very hard using the clear vinyl I had! You can’t iron the vinyl, or any plastic for that matter, so I had to use a lot of steam to soften the vinyl so it would turn. This resulted in numerous profanities as I burned my fingers. I had to squash the pouch under some ginormous books after I heavily steamed the pouch a so the edges would lay flat.

20170716_112519-1

Things I did differently and suggestions:

I didn’t cut the sewing line on the curve of the pattern as she did. I just traced the line onto my fabric with some chalked paper and a marking wheel. That way in the future the pattern is still solid and I know the small curved section will not move. I also increased my stitch length when sewing the vinyl. Since it is not self healing it is really easy to have your stitches rip through the material if the stitch length is to close together. For the second one I cut out, I am thinking I will bind the edges with bias tape instead of trying to turn the piece inside out. I am also going to plan the optimal  pouch dimensions and measure the tools I would like to carry with me for one that is the perfect size.

20170716_112426-1

 

Advertisements