From time to time I am given stashes of sewing materials from friends and family. Not to long ago I was given a large box of fabric and some vintage patterns. Mixed in the box of fabric was this pattern, all cut out, waiting for someone to sew it up.
It’s a single size pattern and view 1 was cut out in a similar blue fabric to the pattern envelope. I decided I was going to sew it for some practice using every applicable stitch I could use on my sewing machine.
After reading the directions, I noticed that finishing the seams was not noted anywhere. Instead of doing French seams, I decided to serge all the pieces. I should have serged pieces as I constructed, because serging everything did add some bulk to areas like the collar and at the facings. But that’s why we practice.
A. I used this decorative vine stitch on the sleeves, pockets, and down the fronts. It worked great on the sleeves which were only two layers.
Detail of finished cuffed sleeve.
It did not work out so well on the fronts which were two layers with interfacing. It seemed that my machine got a little bogged down in those pieces and the leaves are not evenly spaced.
B. Bar tack (pictured above) is the vertical row of stitches at the pocket edge to help prevent your pockets from ripping or coming loose from the main garment. This is the first time I used this stitch and it will be useful in constructing things like scrub tops. I didn’t get the starting point quite right as the stitches start a little higher than the edge of the pocket. Practice, practice,practice!
C. Blind hem stitch. To finish the hem, instead of whip stitching by hand, I used the blind hem stitch. I have used this stitch before and I have found some applications are better than others. Using this stitch on this garment worked well. The thread I used was pretty close in color and the hem was straight. You can hardly see it from a distance.
D. Automatic button hole stitch. After the initial set up of the special presser foot, this stitch makes bottom holes a breeze. But I measured my hole placement a little too far into the garment. The final step and I mess it up! Thankfully this is just practice. The button holes would have looked a lot better moved to the right. I found the flower buttons that match the fabric perfectly at my local Joann Fabrics. Due to their recessed holes I sewed the buttons on by hand instead of using the button attachment feature my baby lock has.
So now I have a finished house coat that I have no clue what to do with.
Overall this pattern was really easy to put together and to complete. I am not sure if I will have a need to sew another house coat, but maybe they will come back in vogue like everything else seems too.